EN BOUTON
Home
Adventures in personal style.

Links

Flickr
Twitter
Tumblr
Polyvore
Pinterest

Template by Elle @ satellit-e.bs.com
Images: own work
Others: colour codes


ARCHIVES
January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 June 2011 July 2011 September 2011

Friday Rambling: Thermals
Friday 4 February 2011 / 23:02

Okay, if you live somewhere where it's -20 C right now, you're probably going to laugh at this post... but whilst the Scottish climate is relatively mild, I'm one of those people who tends to feel cold a lot. Sure, it's a great excuse to drink more coffee and wear baggy sweaters all the time, but I could probably deal with this issue in a more stylish way, i.e. any way that doesn't involve the fleece I'm wearing right now (let's just say "hiking shop" and "men's size medium" and leave it at that).

Thermal layers are the obvious solution, but it's been surprisingly hard to find thermal tees that aren't just, well, underwear. My Aerie waffle crew is too tight and sheer to wear by itself, but I'd happily wear it under a button-down shirt with the cuffs, hem and neckline peeping out. I can't say the same about my Marks and Spencer thermal, which is good for warmth but not much else - it just doesn't look like it should be a visible part of an outfit, if that makes sense.

What I'm looking for is thermal tees with a waffle-knit texture, not too sheer or too tight. I've found plenty of them online... on sites that either don't ship to the UK, or charge an exorbitant amount to do so. I thought I was on to something when I got the Fab Knit Thermal from Forever 21, so I tried to order it in two more colours, but was thwarted by problems with the website. I've also noticed some slight pilling on the shirt after just one wash, so ordering multiples might not be the best investment...

Of course, I could just get some non-thermal long-sleeved tees for layering and leave it at that. H&M's long-sleeved kids' tees are cheaper than the F21 thermals (£4.99 vs £6.50 plus shipping) and the quality is probably better, so I might just go with those. Oh, and if this Topshop pyjama set ever goes on sale, I'll be doing my best to snap it up.

If you live somewhere truly cold, I hope you're staying warm today... you're probably better at it than I am. :P I'm still working on my AE post, plus some sketches based on the new Uniqlo +J collection, and being far too perfectionist about both... I've got to kick that habit.

Lastly, I'm not really a shoe person, but I was walking through John Lewis when I spotted these and my eyes widened a little:
 
 Unfortunately, I think the sale price is £59, and I probably couldn't walk in 4.3" heels anyway... but aren't they pretty?

Labels:



Blogger Violet said on 18 February 2011 at 03:36  

It was 85*F this week in Texas! What the hiss! My 30 for 30 has gone disasterously after all that cold weather. Have been cheating all week! :(

Violet

Post a Comment