EN BOUTON
Home
Adventures in personal style.

Links

Flickr
Twitter
Tumblr
Polyvore
Pinterest

Template by Elle @ satellit-e.bs.com
Images: own work
Others: colour codes


ARCHIVES
January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 June 2011 July 2011 September 2011

Autumn!
Saturday 3 September 2011 / 12:02

Finally - there's a slight chill in the air, the leaves are about to turn, and I'm going back into full-time study. I'm nervous about it, of course, but there's nothing else I'd rather be doing. (You know you're hooked when your post-drawing-class coffee break involves more drawing.) Also, Pottermore opens in October

I've put a fair amount of thought into dressing for college, partly so that I won't have to put much thought into it once classes begin. Deciding how I'm going to dress in general, planning a week's outfits in advance and laying everything out the night before might sound a bit excessive, but as long as I don't get too hung up on the details, it works. I save time in the morning, and I go through the day without that persistent, distracting sense that what I'm wearing doesn't look or feel right.

Practicalities aside, here's some of what's inspiring me:


The great thing about cold-weather dressing is that more layers = more opportunities to play around and combine them in interesting ways. I do have a seasonal wishlist, but I'm more enthused about working with the clothes I already own (and the contents of my fabric stash) than conducting a full wardrobe makeover.

Anyway, not that this has much to do with wishlists, but I've made the resolution to worry less and not be so concerned with things that don't really matter. When you're constantly living in an anxious frame of mind, it affects everything, even the stuff that's supposed to be fun (don't ask how long it took me to write this post to an "acceptable standard"). Some things do need to be taken seriously, that goes without saying, but in other circumstances I could really stand to be more laid back.

I'll round this up with some completely unrelated photos from August:


A sketch from my summer-school course. I can't wait to get back into proper figure drawing sessions.


Sketch using ink and one of those sharpened stick "pens", which I found pretty hard to control (unpredictable line weight, scratchiness...). I like using ~0.5mm fineliners, Biros and the like, but I can't stay in my comfort zone forever.


Pen and watercolour, a birthday present for my dad. This is one of the West Coast beaches we visited last year.


Plants sprouting on walls.


Calligraphy by Qiu Zhijie, at the newly refurbished National Museum of Scotland. I liked the museum as it was, but they've made incredible improvements - I'm planning a return visit now that festival season is ending.

Labels: ,


Post a Comment